ignatius of loyola Quotes
Ignatius of Loyola Quotes
Read how to open files in File Open Database.
ignatius of loyola life timeline
|Saint Ignatius of Loyola and six classmates took initial vows that would lead to the creation of the Society of Jesus in September of 1540.
|Wednesday, August 15th, 1534
|Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuits, is canonized a saint by the Catholic Church.
|Saturday, March 12th, 1622
- Let me look at the foulness and ugliness of my body. Let me see myself as an ulcerous sore running with every horrible and disgusting poison.
- The safest and most suitable form of penance seems to be that which causes pain in the flesh but does not penetrate to the bones, that is, which causes suffering but not sickness. So the best way seems to be to scourge oneself with thin cords which hurt superficially, rather than to use some other means which might produce serious internal injury.
- The picture. A great plain, comprising the entire Jerusalem district, where is the supreme Commander-in-Chief of the forces of good, Christ our Lord: another plain near Babylon, where Lucifer is, at the head of the enemy.
- Imagine that leader of all the enemy, in that great plain of Babylon, sitting on a sort of throne of smoking flame, a horrible and terrifying sight. Watch him calling together countless devils, to despatch them into different cities till the whole world is covered, forgetting no province or locality, no class or single individual.
- The enemy is like a woman, weak in face of opposition, but correspondingly strong when not opposed. In a quarrel with a man, it is natural for a woman to lose heart and run away when he faces up to her; on the other hand, if the man begins to be afraid and to give ground, her rage, vindictiveness and fury overflow and know no limit.
- We should always be prepared so as never to err to believe that what I see as white is black, if the hierarchic Church defines it thus.
- Considering that the blessed life we so long for consists in an intimate and true love of God Our Creator and Lord, which binds and obliges us all to a sincere love.
- So with that will prompt and prepared to serve all those whom I perceive to be servants of my Lord, I will speak of three things with simplicity and love as if I were speaking to my own soul.
- The principal end both of my father and of myself in the conquest of India... has been the propagation of the holy Catholic faith.
- Go forth and set the world on fire.
ignatius of loyola
Quotes by Famous People
|Who Were Also Born On
|Who Also Died On
Copyright © www.quotesby.net